Sunday, October 2, 2011

Prenatal Class

This weekend Raju and I headed to Sunnybrook on Saturday and today for our prenatal classes.  I was prepared for the fact that we would be watching birthing videos but I guess I never really took into account how graphic they would be.  I really didn't need to see a woman with all her parts out to see.  I liken it to when I was getting my belly button ring.  I knew it was going to hurt but really did not need to see/inspect the needle.  Just do it and get it over with.  I definitely will not be asking for a mirror to see what is going on down there.  I have to say though, that the women in these videos did not have epidurals (apparently that would make for a boring video) and although in pain managed to get through it.  I'm not saying "no" to the epidural but I think I'd like to see how long I can last without it. 
Today I found much more practical in that we got a tour of the hospital, practiced some more massage and position techniques to get through labour pains and even talked about breastfeeding.  I know I'll forget much of this when the time comes but it seems like there is a lot of support in place to help guide us through so I'm not too worried about it.
Aside from packing my bag for the hospital I think we're as ready as we're going to be.  It's one of those things that you can talk about a lot but just have to experience to get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment