Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sleeping woes

It's funny the things you realize people don't tell you about parenthood.  The biggest challenge for me is sleeping.  I understood that I would have sleepless nights because I would have to be up feeding Samara.  What I did not anticipate was the fighting of sleeping ( even for naps ) .  I thought babies sleep when they are tired.  This has been such a struggle.  I've tried going to her, waiting to see if she'll calm down, crying it out for up to 1.5 hours (and then the doctor told me no longer than 15 min.) and still I can't figure out how to calm her.  In the end it's always nursing that does the trick.  I also have yet to have her sleep through the night.
Last week she was getting up just once but that has deteriorated to twice and tonight I think it's going to be worse as she got up 1 hour after I put her down.
I think I may have to cave and get a sleep doula.  I need to figure this out before I go back to work or else I don't think I'll be able to function.  Also this is such a hit to my self-esteem.  I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.  It really sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment