Friday, November 18, 2011

Breastfeeding Blues

If you couldn't tell from my birth story post I've been having a bit of trouble breast feeding.  It is so hard when you feel like you can't feed your child adequately enough and she was losing a lot of weight.  She was born at 6 lbs 15 oz, went down to 6 lbs 4 oz, left the hospital at 6 lbs 7 oz and then when we went to the doctor on Monday she was down again to 6 lbs 1 oz.  I wasn't sure if my technique was wrong or if I didn't have enough milk.  The hospital was pushing breast feeding but I really didn't think it was enough.  I did want to give it a good try but if I couldn't provide enough for baby Samara to eat, I was quite happy to switch to formula.  Some days she would sit for an hour on my breast but still didn't seem to be doing enough and then she started to go through long bouts of sleeping (4-5 hours).  While I didn't mind, we didn't think this was right and coupled with no poopy diaper we were a little concerned.  At the doctor we found out that she does look fine and everything else is ok except for her eating habits.  This was leading her to be dehydrated, which was leading her to not pee or pooh enough.  So we were to supplement her with more formula but continue with trying to breast feed.  To be honest I was pretty fed up and frustrated at this point but was willing to try a bit more.  I decided to pump a bit as well, in hopes that it would encourage more milk to be produced or at least to bring my milk in.
Wednesday we had another appointment at the Breast Feeding clinic.  They weighed Samara again and she had gone up 100 g since Monday (at the doctor).  Not a lot but definitely some improvement.  The other thing that made me feel better was that my technique is good.  The only problem is I may not be producing enough milk for Samara to gain weight.  Funnily enough at this appointment Samara was the perfect angel.  She latched on to both breasts with absolutely no problem.  It's like she turned a corner and suddenly decided she knew how to breast feed, or maybe my milk is now more plentiful.  Who knows?  I'm just happy that we are getting better at it.  I have to stay, my nipples are not as sore either.  My left boob (her preferred one) was dry and bleeding but now seems to have healed itself.  We are still supplementing Samara, but I'm happy to say that we have figured out the breast feeding thing.  The only problem now, is she wants to eat every hour!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment